Art and Literature: Nicola Starr

10:00 AM


Lately I've been so in love with collages. I didn't use to like this medium before, probably because I was so suspicious of modern art in general, which led me to be suspicious of contemporary art too. But the more I see collages the more I feel inspired to try making my own!

I've recently discovered the work of Nicola Starr, a Canada based artist who has a series of collages inspired by the book The Catcher in the Rye. I love this book and the collages are amazing. Although their starting point is the book, they can also be appreciated without having read it.



Despite mentioning Catcher a lot, I'm not that big of a Salinger fan. I've only read this and Raise High the Roof Beams, Carpenters and Seymour: an Introduction. But Catcher is a great choice for collages because of its many beautiful poignant images, like the hunting hat, the Central Park ducks, Phoebe's record and - probably my favorite - the children running through a rye field.


If you want to see more collages, you can check out Nicola Starr's website.

How do you feel about art inspired by books?Have you read Catcher in the Rye or other books by J. D. Salinger?

You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. Salinger is great (Well, at least his books are great. I've heard he was pretty sketchy in real life!)

    I like the concept of the collages, but I'm not sure I'd want a Catcher inspired one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a lot of friends who are big Salinger fans. They keep telling me to read his other books, maybe I ought to give it a try!

      Delete
  2. Hi, Paula! Thanks for the comment on my blog. So glad you dropped in and that you like the Modest Monday series...I agree, I'm always looking for inspiration as well.

    Your blog looks very nice - and so professional. I can't say I've done any collages myself, but I love looking at them.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I was so happy to have found your blog! I've been following a lot of style blogs but none that spoke directly about modesty. I'm sure a lot of girls feel this need too.

      Thanks for the visit and the kind words about the blog!

      Delete
  3. Oh I love the idea of art inspired by books, and The Catcher in the Rye was one of the first classics I ever read. Anyway, just to let you know that I'm sending The Versatile Blogger Award your way - it'll be live on my blog tomorrow (http://miss-beatrix.blogspot.com) if you wish to accept it. Thanks and have a great culture-filled day! Anna. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the award! I really appreciate it.

      I also love when artists get inspiration from other fields. When the reverse happens, when poets and writers are inspired by art works is also very interesting!

      A lovely day for you too! xx

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! Do come back because I usually reply to comments here.