The phoenix of all flower painters: Jan Van Huysum

8:21 AM


These beautiful flower studies were drawn by Dutch painter Jan van Huysum from 1697 to 1749. He specialized in still lifes and he aimed for his paintings to be as realistic as possible. 

He was so serious about protecting his techniques that he refused to accept any students and even forbade anyone - including his brothers who were also artists - to enter his studio.


It is said his flower paintings also had a deeper meaning, something like a call to faith. He inscribed on a flower jar the Bible verse "Consider the lilies of the field, Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these." 

What do you think of Huysum's studies?

Images via The British Museum 
Sources: National Gallery, Getty Museum and Rijksmuseum

You Might Also Like

8 comments

  1. These are so beautiful, my mum is a florist, so anything flower related has a special meaning to me.

    Do you know I just read in your 'about me' that you live in Brazil! Amazing! I went there on my own in 2009 as a graduation present to myself, I completely fell in love with it. What part do you live in?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great that your mom is a florist, you probably know a lot about flowers!

      Yes, I'm from Sao Paulo. Have you been there? I'm also in love with Rio, it's just so beautiful!

      Delete
    2. Yes I loved Sao Paulo, I was lucky enough to be driven around by my friends, they live in Bela Vista. I couldn't believe the size of Sao Paulo, I was completely overwhelmed by it! Of course I would go back in a heartbeat.

      Delete
    3. That's so cool! I know Bela Vista. You're lucky, it's great to have friends living in other countries so they can show you around. xx

      Delete
  2. These are so stunning, and look more modern than the eighteenth century. Those pink roses are just gorgeous.

    Anna. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's interesting you mentioned they look modern. I haven't thought about it before, but some of their appeal must come from this, specially since I was more attracted to Huysum's studies than his actual paintings.

      Delete
  3. The Huysum's studies are great. I love flowers - not only the royal ones - like roses - but small and modest ones - like dandelion. And - sure - these paintings have a call to faith.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm also a flower enthusiast like yourself! Dandelions are beautiful, though I'm a big sucker for roses and tulips.

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! Do come back because I usually reply to comments here.